Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between impulse and reaction turbine. Comparison and Differences.
Comparison and Difference between Impulse and Reaction Turbine
1. Impulse turbine works on the principle of impulse while Reaction turbine works on the principle of reaction i.e. backward force developed opposite to a certain action.
2. In impulse, the energy available at the inlet is only kinetic energy and the pressure is atmospheric. In reaction, the energy available at the inlet is both kinetic energy and pressure energy.
3. In an impulse, water flows along the tangent of the runner. Thus it is called tangential flow. In reaction, water flows in the radial direction through the runner. Thus it is called radial flow.
4. The impulse turbine is used for high heads ranging from 150 to 2000 m. The total head of the reaction turbine ranges from about 30 to 500 m.
5. It is possible to regulate the flow without loss in impulse turbine where as in reaction, it is not possible to regulate the flow without loss.