Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the Difference between Latches and Flip Flops. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Latches and Flip Flops
1. Latches are building blocks of sequential circuits and these can be built from logic gates. Flip flops are also building blocks of sequential circuits. But, these can be built from the latches.
2. Latch continuously checks its inputs and changes its output correspondingly. Flip flop continuously checks its inputs and changes its output correspondingly only at times determined by clocking signal.
3. The latch is sensitive to the duration of the pulse and can send or receive the data when the switch is on. Flipflop is sensitive to a signal change. They can transfer data only at the single instant and data cannot be changed until next signal change. Flip flops are used as a register.
4. Latch is based on the enable function input. Flip-flops works on the basis of clock pulses.
5. Latch is a level triggered, it means that the output of the present state and input of the next state depends on the level that is binary input 1 or 0. Flip Flop is an edge triggered, it means that the output and the next state input changes when there is a change in clock pulse whether it may a +ve or -ve clock pulse.