Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the Difference between Light Waves and Sound Waves. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Light Waves and Sound Waves
1. Light waves are electromagnetic waves. Sound waves are mechanical waves.
2. Light waves can travel in vacuum. Sound wave require a material medium for propagation.
3. The speed of light waves is very high propagation. (= 3 x 108 m/s in air). The speed of sound waves is low (=330 m/s in air)
4. The wavelength of the light waves. (visible) is very small, of the order of 10-6 m. The wavelength of sound waves is in the range of 10-2 m to 10m.
5. Light waves are transverse. Sound waves are longitudinal waves.