Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the Difference between Mastication and Rumination. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Mastication and Rumination
1. Grinding, chewing and shredding of food in the mouth by teeth is called mastication. Rumination is the chewing of food that come from a part near the stomach of the animal to its mouth.
2. Mastication occurs only one time in the oral cavity. Rumination allows food to undergo mastication more than once.
3. Mastication is also known as chewing the food. Rumination is also known as chewing the cud.
4. Mastication makes the food particles to tiny particles and does not involve nutrient absorption. Rumination allows greater nutrients to be extracted and absorbed from the food particles.
5. Mastication occurs in most of the animals (mammals). eg : Human being. Rumination occurs only in ruminate animals. eg : Cow.