Compare, distinguish and explain what is the difference between CNC and Conventional machine. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between CNC and Conventional Machine
1. CNC machines can be used continuously for long intervals and only need to be switched off for occasional maintenance. Conventional machines are difficult to operate for several hours at a stretch. the operator has to continuously focus on the job at hand.
2. CNC machine can produce several products all similar and dead accurate. resemblance of the products formed depends on the skill of the operator. Visible difference may occur.
3. Less skilled or trained persons can easily operate CNC machines. Highly skilled operators are required to work on conventional machines.
4. CNC machines can be updated by using software to drive the machines. Chances for major improvement in the same conventional machines are very less.
5. One person can supervise several CNC machines, and they can be left to work themselves. One person cannot operate one CNC machine at a time.
What is a CNC Machine ?
CNC stands for Computer Numerical Control. Conventionally, an operator decides and adjusts various machines parameters like feed , depth of cut etc depending on type of job , and controls the slide movements by hand. In a CNC Machine functions and slide movements are controlled by motors using computer programs.
Types of CNC Machine
There are many different types of CNC Machines used in industry, Such as:
1. Mills and Machining Centers
2. Lathes and Turning Centers
3. Drilling Machines
4. EDM Sinker and wire cut Machines
5. Flame and Laser-Cutting Machines
6. Water Jet Profilers
Advantages of CNC Machines over Conventional Machines
- You don’t need extensive experience or skills in some of the cases while using CNC machines.
- Products can be easily replicated thousands of times
- Less labor is required to operate machinery
- CNC interface software increases your production
- No prototypes are necessary with CNC Machines
- Reduce the making/production cost.
Limitations of CNC machines
- Initial investment is considered to be high
- It requires high maintenance cost
- We can observe the low production rates
Tags: Difference between Conventional and CNC machine