Hear on this page we will briefly explain and describe what is the difference between mass and weight for kids in science, physics and chemistry with examples. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Mass and Weight
1. Mass is a property of matter and it remains same everywhere. It is denoted using m or M. Whereas Weight depends on the effect of gravity. It varies according to location. Weight is mass multiplied by the acceleration of gravity.
W = m * g
2. According to location, the mass of an object or body remains constant whereas Weight increases or decreases according to the gravity acting on it.
3. Mass can never be zero while Weight can be zero if no gravity acts upon an object. An Example in space.
4. Mass is a scalar quantity; it has magnitude while Weight is a vector quantity, it has both magnitude and direction, it is directed toward the center of the Earth or other gravity well.
5. Unit of mass is grams and kilograms whereas Unit of Weight is Newtons, a unit of force.
6. The mass may be measured using an ordinary balance while Weight is measured using a spring balance.