Differentiate, distinguish, compare and explain what is the main difference between electromagnet and permanent magnet. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Electromagnet and Permanent Magnet
1. Electromagnet is temporary as it exhibits magnetic force only when current flows through it. Permanent Magnet as the name say is a permanent magnet.
2. Electromagnet can produce very strong magnetic force. Permanent Magnet produces comparatively much weaker magnetic force.
3. Electromagnet strength can be changed. Permanent Magnet strength cannot be changed.
4. Electromagnet polarity can be changed. Permanent Magnet polarity cannot be changed.
5. Electromagnets are very strong as compared to permanent magnets which gets weaker over time or if gets dropped.
6. Electromagnets need electrical energy while permanent magnets need no outside energy.
7. Electromagnets were discovered in 1820 whereas permanent magnet were discovered long 2000 years ago.