Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Intracellular and Extracellular digestion.
Difference between Intracellular and Extracellular digestion
1. Intracellular digestion occurs inside the cell. Extracellular digestion occurs outside the cell in the cavity of the alimentary canal.
2. Intracellular digestion involves secretion of digestive enzymes by the surrounding cytoplasm into the food vacuoles. Extracellular involves secretion of digestive enzymes by special cells into the cavity of alimentary canal by duds.
3. The products of digestion diffuse into the cytoplasm in intracellular whereas the products of digestion diffuse across the intestinal wall into different parts of the body in extracellular.
4. Intracellular is less efficient and there is no regional differentiation. Extracellular is more efficient and gut shows regional differentiation.
5. Intracellular digestion occurs in unicellular organisms and some other lower organisms. Extracellular digestion occurs in multicellular organisms.