Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the main difference between Junction and Zener Diode in electronic devices. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Junction and Zener Diode
1. Junction diode is never intentionally operated in the breakdown region because it may damage. The Zener diode is operated in the breakdown region.
2. Junction diode has thick junction. The Zener diode has thin junction.
3. Power dissipation is less in the junction diode as compared with the Zener diode.
4. In the junction diode, dynamic resistance is very small in reverse bias. In Zener diode, dynamic resistance is very high in reverse bias.
5. Junction diode is used as rectifiers, voltage multipliers, clippers, and clampers. The Zener diode is used as voltage regulators, limiters etc.