Distinguish, differentiate, compare & explain what is the main difference between Linear Power Supply and SMPS. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Linear Power Supply and SMPS
1. Linear Power Supply are large and heavy in size. Switching Power Supply are small and light in size.
2. The efficiency of the linear power supply is about 30 to 40%. The efficiency of SMPS is about 70 to 95%.
3. In terms of complexity, linear power supply are Simple whereas switching power supply are complex.
4. In EMI, the linear power supply has low noise while in SMPS noise filtering is required.
5. The Linear power supply is high in price due to the material while SMPS are low in price.