Distinguish, Differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Liverworts and Mosses. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Liverworts and Mosses
1.In Liverworts, the gametophytic plant body may be thallose (e.g., Riccia) or foliose. In Mosses, the gametophytic plant body is differentiated into prostrate, branched filamentous, thalloid protonema and leafy erect gametophore.
2. On the ventral surface of the thallus unicellular rhizoids and simple multicellular scales are present in Liverworts. The rhizoids are multicellular, branched with oblique septa in Mosses.
3. In Liverworts, sex organs are present on dorsal surface of the thallus and develop from superficial cells. In Mosses, the sex organs develop from the superficial cells at the apex of leafy gametophyte.
4. In Liverworts, elaters are generally present but absent in Riccfa. In Mosses, elaters are absent.
5. In Liverworts, stomata are absent in the wall of the capsule. In Mosses, stomata ace present in sporophyte for gaseous exchange.
6. Dehiscence of capsule is irregular in Liverworts. Dehiscence is regular in Mosses.