Distinguish, compare, differentiate and explain what is the main difference between metals and non metals.
Difference between metals and non metals on the basis of chemical properties
1. Metals on heating with oxygen forms ionic oxide, which are basic in nature and which dissolve in water to form bases, which turn red litmus blue. Non metals on heating with oxygen forms covalent oxides which are acidic in nature and dissolve in water to form acids, which turn blue litmus red.
2. Metals are lustrous. Non metals are non lustrous except graphite.
3. Metals are conductor of electricity and heat. Non-metals are non conductors of heat and electricity except graphite.
4. All Metals are solid except mercury. Non metals may be solid, liquid or gaseous.
5. Metals are electro positive, they loses electrons readily and becomes a positive ions. Non metals are electro negative, they gain electrons and become negative ions.
6. Metals are reducing agent. Non metals are good oxidizing agent.