Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference Between Modem and Router Device. Comparison and Differences.
Difference Between Modem and Router Device
1. A Modem can only connect to one device, it can either be connected to a PC or a Router. While a Router can connect to multiple devices, either through a wired connection using Ethernet cables or through a WiFi network.
2. Modem works for Data link layer (Layer 2) whereas Router works for Network Layer (Layer 3 devices)
3. A modem passes the data as it receives from the internet without screening the data. A Router in most cases is equipped with firewalls to screen the data and examine data packets.
4. Device type used by modem are inter-networking devices whereas router uses networking devices.
5. A Modem has 2 ports, one port connects to the Internet Service Provider and the other one connects either to a computer or a Modem. This means that a Modem can work without a Router, providing internet connection to a Single PC.
6. Modem has no security measures while router provides security measures to protect network
7. In comparison, Routers cannot connect to the internet without being connected to a Modem. Routers come with 2, 4 and 8 ports for enabling wired connection to multiple devices in addition to the wireless WiFi connection.
8. Modem facilitates a connection to the internet by transmitting and receiving data over telephone lines. Router directs data in a network. Passes data between home computers, and between computers and the modem.
9. Both Router and Modem uses Packet as a data transmission form.