Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Photosynthesis and Respiration.
Comparison and Difference between Photosynthesis and Respiration
- Photosynthesis occurs only in Chlorophyll containing cells of plants. Respiration occurs in all plants and animal cells.
- Photosynthesis takes place only in the presence of light. Respiration takes place continually both in light and in the dark.
- During photosynthesis, radiant energy is converted into potential energy. During respiration, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.
- In photosynthesis, sugar, water and oxygen are products. In respiration, CO2 and H2O are products.
- First one synthesizes food. Second one oxidizes food.
- In the first, CO2 and H2O are raw materials. In the second, O2 and food molecules are raw materials.
- Photosynthesis is an endothermal process. whereas the other is a exothermal process.
- Photosynthesis stores energy. Respiration releases energy.
- In the first, it includes the process of hydrolysis, carboxylation etc. In the seocnd, tt includes the process of dehydrolysis and decarboxilation etc.
- Photosynthesis results in an increase in the weight. Respiration results in a decrease in weight.
- Photosynthesis is an anabolic process. Respiration is a catabolic process.
- Both the process requires cytochrome.