Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the main difference between rod and cone cells. Comparison and Differences.
Difference between Rod and Cone Cells
1. In rod cells, outer segment is cylindrical and contains rhodopsin. In cone cells, outer segment is conical and contains iodopsin.
2. Inner end has a small knob in rod while inner end is branched in cone cells.
3. Rod cells are sensitive to dim light and give twilight vision whereas cone cells are sensitive to bright light, and give daylight vision.
4. All rod cells are alike and do not give color vision. Cones are 3 types: blue, green and red, and give color vision.
5. In the rod, insufficient rhodopsin results in night blindness. In the cone, insufficient iodopsin results in color blindness.
6. Rod cells are far more numerous than cone cell. Cone cells are much fewer than rod cells.