Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Series and Shunt Voltage Regulator.
Comparison and Difference between Series and Shunt Voltage Regulator
1. In series and shunt voltage regulator the major difference is in how the regulator is connected with the circuit load resistance in order to control the output voltage. In Series, regulator is connected in series with the load while in Shunt, regulator is connected in parallel with the load.
2. At high load currents, series voltage regulator does not give good voltage regulation while Shunt voltage regulator give good voltage regulation at high load currents.
3. In the series voltage regulator, the output DC voltages is not constant whereas in the shunt output voltage is constant.
4. Series voltage regulator have good efficiency for higher load currents than Shunt voltages regulators.
5. Series voltage regulator is appropriate for heavy loads while shunt regulators are appropriate for light loads.