Differentiate, distinguish, compare and explain what is the main difference between solid liquid and gaseous state of matter.
Difference between the characteristics of state of matter
Difference between solid liquid and gaseous state of matter
1. Solids have definite shape and volume. Liquids does not definite shape. Liquids attain the shape of the vessel in which they are kept. Gases have neither a definite shape nor a definite volume.
2. Solids are in compressible. Liquids are compressible to a small extent. Gases are highly compressible.
3. There is little space between the particles of a solid. Liquid particles have a greater space between them. The space between gas particles is the greatest.
4. Solid particles attract each other very strongly. The force of attraction between liquid particles is less than solid particles. The force of attraction is least between gaseous particles.
5. Particles of solid cannot move freely. Liquid particles move freely. Gaseous particles are in a continuous and random motion.