Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between vapour absorption and vapour compression system.
Difference between Vapour Absorption and Vapour Compression System
- Vapour Absorption System, Uses low-grade energy, heat. Therefore may be operated by flame or by using exhaust steam from engines etc. Vapour Compression System uses high-grade energy, mechanical work.
- In absorption system, moving parts exist only in the pump, which is a small element of the system. Hence, quiet in operation. In compression system, moving parts are in the compressor. So there is more wear, tear, and noise.
- Absorption System can work on lower evaporator pressure also, without lowering the COP significantly. In compression system, the COP decreases considerably with a decrease in evaporator pressure.
- In absorption system, there is no effect of reducing the load on the performance. In compression system, performance is adversely affected at partial loads.
- In absorption system, liquid traces of refrigerant present in piping at the exit of evaporator constitute no danger. In compression system, liquid traces in suction line may damage the compressor.
- In absorption system, automatic capacity control is easy. In compression system, automatic capacity control is difficult.