Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the main difference between Virus and Worm.
Difference between Virus and Worm
1. A computer virus attaches itself to a program or file enabling it to spread from one computer to another, leaving infections as it travels.A worm is similar to a virus by design and is considered to be a sub-class of a virus. Worms spread from computer to computer.
2. A computer virus is a small program written to alter the way a computer operates, without the permission or knowledge of the user. The worm consumes too much system memory (or network bandwidth), causing web servers, network servers, and individual computers to stop responding.
3. A virus must meet two criteria: Firstly, it must execute itself. It often places its own code in the path of execution of another program. Second, it must replicate itself. For example, it may replace other executable files with a copy of the virus infected file. A worm must meet two criteria: First, worms exploit holes in operating system security so it is important to download and install all patches. Secondly, the weak security and similar network configuration is required to travel.
4. Viruses are programs which require the spreading of an infected host file. Worms are programs that replicate themselves from system to system without the use of a host file.
5. A Virus spread with uniform speed as programmed. Worms spread more rapidly than viruses.
6. Viruses can be attached to .EXE,.COM,.DOC,.XLS etc. Worms can be attached to any attachments of an email, any file on the network.