What is the difference between xylem and phloem ?
What is the difference between phloem and xylem ?
Difference between Xylem and Phloem
- Xylem is made of dead cells. Phloem is made of living cells.
- In xylem, cell wall are thick. In phloem, cell wall are thin.
- Lignin is used as a cell wall material in Xylem. Cellulose are used as a cell wall material in Phloem.
- Xylem is impermeable whereas phloem is permeable.
- Xylem don’t have cytoplasm whereas phloem has cytoplasm lining.
- Xylem transports water and minerals. Phloem transports food.
- Xylem is carried to leaves. Phloem is carried to growing parts and storage organs.
- In xylem, direction of flow is upward whereas in phloem direction is up and down.
- In xylem, tissue also has fibers. Tissue also has companion cells.