Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the differences between Ammeter and Voltmeter.
Comparison and Differences between Ammeter and Voltmeter
- Ammeter is a low resistance instrument. Voltmeter is a high resistance instrument.
- In ammeter, resistance is GS / (G + S). In voltmeter, resistance is G + R .
- In ammeter, Shunt Resistance is (G lg) / (l – lg) and is very small. In voltmeter, series Resistance is (V / lg) – G and is very high.
- Ammeter is always connected in series. Voltmeter is always connected in parallel.
- Resistance of an ideal ammeter is zero. Resistance of an ideal voltmeter is infinity.
- In the first one, Its resistance is less than that of the galvanometer. In the second one, its resistance is greater than that of the voltmeter.
- It is not possible to decrease the range of the given ammeter. It is possible to decrease the range of the given voltmeter.