Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the differences between diamond and graphite. Comparison and Difference.
Differences between Diamond and Graphite
1. Diamond is transparent. Graphite is black and opaque.
2. Diamond is a poor conductor of electricity but is also a good conductor of heat. Graphite, on the other hand, is a good conductor of heat and electricity.
3. Diamond is the hardest substance known in nature. Graphite is soft and slippery to touch.
4. The Density of diamond is more than graphite.
5. Diamond is insoluble in all solvents. Graphite is insoluble in all ordinary solvents.
6. Diamond is the ultimate abrasive. Graphite is a very good lubricant
7. Diamond crystallizes in the isometric system. It occurs as octahedral crystals. Graphite crystallizes in the hexagonal system. It occurs as hexagonal crystals.