Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the differences between electromagnetic waves and matter waves. Comparison and Difference.
Differences between Electromagnetic Waves and Matter Waves
1. Electromagnetic waves are associated with electrical and magnetic fields. Matter waves are not associated with electrical and magnetic fields.
2. Electromagnetic waves can be emitted or radiated in space. Matter waves are neither radiated into space nor emitted by the particles. These are simply associated with the particles.
3. All electromagnetic waves travel with the same velocity. Matter waves travel with different velocities .
4. The velocity of the electromagnetic waves is equal to that of velocity of light i.e. 3 x 10 8 ms-1. The velocity of matter wave is different from that of light.
5. The wavelength of electromagnetic waves is given by lambda = c/v = h/mc. The wavelength of matter waves is given by lambda = h/mw = h/p.