Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the differences between electromagnetic waves and matter waves.
Comparison and Differences between Electromagnetic Waves and Matter Waves
- Electromagnetic waves are associated with electrical and magnetic fields. Matter waves are not associated with electrical and magnetic fields.
- Electromagnetic waves can be emitted or radiated in space. Matter waves are neither radiated into space nor emitted by the particles. These are simply associated with the particles.
- All electromagnetic waves travel with the same velocity. Matter waves travel with different velocities .
- The velocity of the electromagnetic waves is equal to that of velocity of light i.e. 3 x 10 8 ms-1. The velocity of matter wave is different from that of light.
- The wavelength of electromagnetic waves is given by lambda = c/v = h/mc. The wavelength of matter waves is given by lambda = h/mw = h/p.