Similarities and Difference between Series and Parallel Circuits
Distinguish, differentiate, compare and explain what is the difference between Series and Parallel Circuits.
Difference between Series and Parallel Circuits
1. Series circuit has one pathway. Parallel circuit may have two or more pathways.
2. In series circuit, current is same anywhere in the circuit while in parallel, current splits and passes through pathways and than adds up again.
3. In series circuit, voltage is shared in ratio to resistance while in parallel circuit, voltage across each pathway is equal.
4. In series, resistance adds up and so less current draws in the circuit and battery last longer. In parallel circuit, total resistance is less than the least resistance, current drawn is less but the battery life is short.
5. In series, if one bulb fuses than the circuit becomes incomplete. In parallel, if one bulb gets fuses still the circuit remains complete and the other bulb glows.
6. In series circuit brightness of the bulbs is less while in parallel circuit brightness of the bulb is more.
Similarities between Series and Parallel Circuits
1. Both the circuits either series or parallel have the same aim of converting electrical energy into heat, sound etc.