Figs are the fruit of the ficus tree, which is part of the mulberry family (Moraceae). Figs have a unique, sweet taste, soft and chewy texture and are littered with slightly crunchy, edible seeds. Fresh figs are delicate and perishable, so are often dried to preserve. This produces a sweet and nutritious dried fruit that can be enjoyed all year round. Here on these page we will see some of the important health benefits of figs.
One of the important health benefits of figs is high in natural sugars, minerals, and soluble fiber. Figs are rich in minerals including potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and copper and are a good source of antioxidant vitamins A, E and K that contribute to health and wellness.
Figs range dramatically in color and subtly in texture depending upon the variety. Their unique feature is a little bud-like opening called an ostiole at the top that helps the fruit develop. Their natural sweetness meant that, before the days of refined sugars, they were often used as a sweetener. The majority of figs are dried, either by exposure to sunlight or through an artificial process, creating a sweet and nutritious dried fruit that can be enjoyed throughout the year.
Health Benefits of Figs
- Figs are a good fruit source of calcium, a mineral that is involved in bone density.
- Their high potassium content may counteract the urinary excretion of calcium caused by high salt diets which support the pre-existing good bacteria in the gut, improving digestive wellness.
- Health Benefits of Figs – help to lower high blood pressure. Consuming dried figs can help you meet your daily potassium needs and help lower your blood pressure.
- Figs are high in potassium and low in sodium, so they are a perfect defense against the appearance and effects of hypertension and acts as a relaxing food which can settle the nerves.
- A sweet way to lose Weight. The fiber in figs also helps to reduce weight and is often recommended for obese people. However, their high-calorie count can also result in weight gain, especially when consumed with milk
- Fiber present in figs is useful to flush out all the harmful toxins from the body including cancer-causing substances. Regular bowel movement and flushing out of toxins can prevent colon cancer.
- Health Benefits of Figs – Good for Diabetic Patients. Figs are high in fiber treat that helps promote functional control of diabetes. They are rich in Potassium, which helps to regulate the amount of sugar which is absorbed into the body after meals.