To increase the page rank in the search engines, it is very important to optimize your website with latest SEO norms from google. A perfectly optimized page will increase organic traffic and improve search engine results for your website. For new websites (and businesses), proper SEO ensures that people searching for a related product or with a specific keyword gets able to find your website.
Here we have created SEO checklist with essential SEO tips and tasks for any new startup website. Some will take a few minutes while others will require some programming development assistance to get benefited.
- Register and install your website on Google Analytics.
- Set up on Google Webmaster Tool.
- Link Google Webmaster Tools with Google Analytics to get more insight into how users are finding your site organically.
- Head Section Order in Meta Tags: Title > Description > Keywords. The information you put in these Meta Tags is used to render the title and description in the search engine result pages.
- Title Tag Length: Length of the title tag should be between 55 to 65 characters as over this will be truncated in results. The cutoff in the SERP in Google is at 512 pixels. Primary Keyword should be there in the start of the title tag.
- Meta Description Tag Length: Length of the description tag should be up to 155 characters or less as over this will be truncated in results. Google SERP cutoff is at approximately 920 pixels. You can use primary and secondary keywords in the description tag.
- Keyword Tag: Although Google has stated the keywords tag is not a consideration in ranking, but still it is recommended to have few good keywords for your page in a keyword tag.
- Heading Tabs: In the body of your content, make sure your first heading tag should always begin as an <h1>. Subsequent heading tags should be <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, etc., and be used as the page’s table of contents. At least two <h1> heading tags are recommended.
- Keyword Density: For every page there should be one specific targeted primary keyword. This primary keyword should have on page density of about 1 to 3 %.
- Overall Word Count: In general, less than 250 words is rarely recommended –especially if you’re trying to optimize for keywords. A web page with 450 words or above is recommended to give better search results.
- Avoid Duplicate Content: Ever page should have unique content in their meta tags: titles and description tags.
- Alt Attributes with Primary Keyword: Ensure your images have proper descriptions associated with them, and if appropriate, keywords for the page. Alt attributes are also required to validate your HTML code.
- Use Keyword in Page URL: Instead of giving any name to a page try to give proper names to a page and use a product name or your primary keyword in the page URL.